Saturday 2 March 2019

RECENTLY READ | JANUARY & FEBRUARY 2019



Happy March everybody! If I may dust off a cliche, I can't believe the year has gone so quickly! I've had a pretty good start to my reading year. While I've only finished 5 books, that includes the 1000+ page mammoth that is The Way of Kings, and I've really enjoyed everything that I've read so far.


Where I have posted a full-length review of a book I will link it. 




Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng  ⋆⋆⋆⋆

I really enjoyed this provocative, moving novel. It's masterfully plotted and makes you sympathise with everybody in its pages. A poignant look at the divides drawn between class, gender, age, and status, and how we decide what is truly valuable to us.

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson  ⋆⋆⋆⋆

My first foray into Sanderson's work and ohhhhh my god I loved this. This novel is HUGE and took me weeks to get through, but I lapped up every moment of this powerful fantasy novel, its rich and expansive world, and incredibly human characters. I read this with that giddy excitement that I would get as a child. I can't wait to read the second in this huge series.




Ghost Wall by Sarah Moss  ⋆⋆⋆⋆     Full Review 

This slender novella, full of slowly building tension, follows a family attempting to reenact an Iron Age lifestyle while covering up the dysfunction and abuse that hangs over them like a ghost. Moss casts a damning eye over class, gender, and Brexit-esque tensions in this gorgeous narrative with an ending that will leave you breathless.

The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker  ⋆⋆⋆    Full Review

I wanted so much from this novel, and it delivered a pacey, engaging read and an unapologetic look at how women are treated in war, but ultimately I came away feeling half-nourished. A really promising novel about women's survival became yet another story about how men have feelings. I enjoyed it and would recommend it, but I feel like Barker could have done so much more. 




If we were Villains by M. L. Rio  ⋆⋆⋆   Full Review 

A literary thriller about a group of friends at a prestigious performing arts school. All the sumptuous and glittering prose makes you fall in love with the world these characters inhabit, and the plot kept me guessing until the last second. M. L. Rio creates a Shakespearean homage full of bloody visions, star-crossed fates and passionate obsession. Loved it!

The Familiars by Stacey Halls - Unfinished

My current read, The Familiars is a historical novel set in 15th Century Lancaster, following a young woman who is drawn into the world of witch trials in her quest to survive her pregnancy (against the doctors predictions) and have a healthy baby. I'm enjoying it so far, the narrative voice feels so soft and gentle but I just know there are some big themes coming up so I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

What have you read this month? Feel free to leave me recommendations below!

Thank you for reading, 



Find me on



4 comments

  1. I didn't finish any book in February but I start Shadow and Bone and The Book Thief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED the book thief!! I hope you enjoy it <3

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos!
    I didn't love Little Fires but that's probably because I listened to it as an audio book and I disengage a bit with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely wouldn't have enjoyed Little Fires on audiobook, there are too many threads to keep up with! x

      Delete

© Folded Paper Foxes | UK Bookish Lifestyle Blog. Design by FCD.