Monday 14 August 2017

CRUELTY FREE BEAUTY FAVES #1


I have been taking steps this year to completely switch up my beauty and makeup collection in favour of cruelty free products, and for me that means buying from brands that do not themselves test on animals, and are not owned by a parent company who tests on animals. It seems like it would be simple but navigating an industry where big heartless companies swallow up little companies with good intentions in the blink of an eye, or where animal testing can be worked in through all sorts of loopholes is tricky and often disheartening. But over the year I've found a few excellent products by excellent brands that are all fairly affordable and readily available, at least here in the UK, and I thought I'd share a few staples with you. 





L U S H - D R E A M C R E A M  Lush stores are an almost holy site for many an ethical beauty fan. Their fun imaginative marketing, expertly made products and steadfast commitment to their ethical beliefs mean that you can shop confidently and guilt free. I have a few of their products but the Dream Cream has become a firm favourite. A simply made but luxurious cream has replaced all my old over-perfumed and plasticky body butters. Made primarily with oat milk, olive oil and cocoa butter this is a perfect treat for dry or damaged skin.

S O A P & G L O R Y - M A S C A R A When going CF I had to say goodbye to some favourite mascaras. Obviously in the grand scheme of things bunnies not having their faces melted off trumps my want for long thick lashes, but it didn't stop me hunting for an alternative. While I'm not sure I've found my perfect fit, the Thick & Fast HD mascara does a solid job of keeping my lashes curled and lengthened and S&G have plenty of mascara options for me to try out. 

N o 7 - F O U N D A T I O N Some good news for those looking to go CF, all of Boots' own brand products are cruelty free! This means that no matter where you are in the UK, you can always find cruelty free options to fit your needs. Their No7 Stay Perfect Foundation is a new discovery that I wouldn't have made without making this change and I would have been missing out! A lightweight, glowy foundation that's a dream to apply and stays on well throughout the day. A little on the pricey side but I couldn't ask for a better foundation for this time of year.  

B E A U T Y B A K E R I E - L I P W H I P S A fun side effect of going CF is exploring smaller indie brands who have been able to keep their integrity intact, rather than being swallowed up by L'Oreal or Estee Lauder (both of whom conduct animal testing and are really sketchy about whether the companies they own have to or not). Beauty Bakerie's Lip Whips are a cult classic and it's easy to see why (and yes that is how they spell it). They have a huge variety of colours and finishes in hella cute packaging and their biggest selling point is their lasting power. They stay on all day and can only be removed with an oil based cleanser, meaning that fading, bleeding and constant touch ups are no longer a problem. The colours I have are Versailles - a dark dusty mauve and Rose Pose - an amazing metallic rose gold. 

M A K E U P R E V O L U T I O N - F L A W L E S S P A L E T T E This brand is fairly new on the scene but are already gaining a reputation for their quality, affordable prices, and ability to keep up with beauty trends. I don't pretend to be particularly savvy about what eyebrow shape is 'in' but good products for a decent price will always get my attention. Their Flawless Ultra Eyeshadow Palette  is perfect for my tastes: Thirty two pigmented shadows for just eight pounds(!) in a well thought out collection of neutral browns, pinks and greys and good variety of mattes and shimmers. See below for an appallingly poor photo of the palette that will at least give a better impression of the range of colours. 




If anyone has any recommendations for good cruelty free products I would love to know, I am a long way from a completely cruelty free collection, but will keep updating with new finds and favourites.

Thank you for reading! 

2 comments

  1. I have very recently become a huge fan of Dream Cream! There's something about the scent that's so comforting, which is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? And it just smells of what it's made of, rather than having piles of perfume added. Thanks for your comment lovely x

      Delete

© Folded Paper Foxes | UK Bookish Lifestyle Blog. Design by FCD.