Wednesday 20 March 2019

INTERNATIONAL DAY OF HAPPINESS | SEVEN BOOKS THAT MAKE ME HAPPY


I love me some misery in my books. I love heavy topics and the weight of the world, and I'm not afraid of a book that's going to make me sad or angry.

However, today is the International Day of Happiness, and on this day I thought I'd compile a little collection of the books that make me smile. While I love hard hitting topics and a good dollop of 'the world is an awful place', each of these books fills me with hope and joy, and are a great reminder that it's okay if a novel's only job is to make its readers happy! Enjoy! 



NOVELS

Uprooted by Naomi Novik - A beautiful fairy tale, loosely inspired by Beauty and the Beast, full of magic, dusty libraries and haunted forests, and the power we have when we choose to discover and embrace who we truly are. 

The Wayfarer Series by Becky Chambers - The sci fi equivalent of a group hug. Chamber's novels are so warm and imaginative, and carry the message that our differences will always make us stronger.

All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders - A witch and a tech genius team up to save the world. If you don't want to read it you're wrong. Bittersweet in places but a total delight.

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
- The angel at the gates of Eden, and the demon who tempted Eve to eat the forbidden fruit, have to team up to find the missing antichrist in 1990's England. The apocalypse has never been so funny, and honestly anything by Terry Pratchett is a happy-making book!

GRAPHIC NOVELS 


Nimona by Noelle Stevenson - A sweet silly ride about a shapeshifting girl who blags her way into becoming the assistant to an evil villain. Be warned you will have EMOTIONS at the ending! 

Lumberjanes by Noelle Stevenson, Shannon Watters, Grace Ellis, and Brooke Allen - A series about a group of girls attending a summer camp with hidden secrets! Lots of fun, girl power and friendship goals. 

Giant Days by John Allison, Max Sarin, and others - A warm, silly, slapstick series following three girls during their time at Sheffield University. It's a delightful read for anybody, but for those who went to university it's an absolute must. 

Let me know what books make you happy, or if you've read any of these and feel the same way! I hope you have a great International Day of Happiness! 

Thank you for reading!!
[This post features gifted items]


Find me on



Post a Comment

© Folded Paper Foxes | UK Bookish Lifestyle Blog. Design by FCD.