Saturday 14 October 2017

MY NEW FAVOURITE THING

 

I've always been a fairly creative person. I don't pretend to be any kind of master at drawing or writing, but I find that indulging in creative projects is both soothing for an overworked brain, and something to provide excitement and purpose when I'm feeling a bit lacklustre.

I've played with writing for years and years, and so am pretty confident when I embark on a new project in that area, but recently I have decided to take up a medium that I am almost completely new to: Watercolours. I've owned a cheap crappy set and used them maybe ten times over the past few years, but recently I've felt the itch to actually devote some time and effort to trying out watercolour art in a more serious way. 


This means that for the first time in quite a while I am more or less a complete beginner at something. It's a humbling experience as an adult realising you're pretty crap at a thing you enjoy, and remembering that the reason you can write/cook/dance/whatever is because a while ago you were a beginner and kept going until you weren't anymore. I'm getting used to seeing beautiful watercolour art on pinterest and not being able to recreate it myself, because I'm just not that good yet, and it's actually quite liberating to relieve myself of all pressure to make something good and to just focus on enjoying the process, having fun and seeing what happens. 

I've stuffed my £4.50 watercolour palette away in a crafty drawer and invested in a small Windsor & Newton palette. W&N are by no means the fanciest paints available, but having played around with them for a few weeks now I can definitely say that they are perfect for someone who is wanting to invest a little into a hobby. I also went and bought a few single brushes to go with the cheap but perfectly serviceable set I've owned for a year or so at this point so that I can actually play with lines and pressure and see what effects different brushes create. So I'm well kitted out for a beginner and with a bit of practice I'm hoping I'll develop something that looks like skill. 

I don't think I'll ever be someone who makes money off of my painting, it's not a passion in the same way writing and academia are. It's more like a soothing balm, a quiet space in the world where I can play and experiment for no other reason than enjoyment. 


Post a Comment

© Folded Paper Foxes | UK Bookish Lifestyle Blog. Design by FCD.