Monday 17 July 2017

RECENT READS 001



Here in the UK, we've been enjoying a surprisingly long and balmy spell of summer, a perfect opportunity to get some reading done in the sunshine. Here are a few recent reads of mine that I feel deserve a mention, and the book I'm currently enjoying. 

I D A H O - Emily Rusckovich's debut novel is an extraordinary meditative piece, exploring the repercussions of a family tragedy from several perspectives. The writing is glorious and the ways in which she plays with elements of time and memory will leave you speechless.




A L L T H E L I G H T W E C A N N O T S E E - I don't usually enjoy wartime novels, having studied many during my school years I find that very little tops Birdsong and Pat Barker's work. This however looks at a different perspective. It follows two children, both far from the battlefields: Marie-Laure, an intelligent, curious blind girl living in France, and Werner, a young gifted German boy who finds himself inducted into Hitler youth. Doerr's writing can be overwrought at times, but his characters and descriptions of setting are such a joy to sink into.

T R E A T S - I've only recently begun to appreciate short story collections, and Treats by Lara Williams is probably my favourite so far. A collection of short, sharp, observatory pieces about modern life. It's unassuming, witty and very very cool. The short story collection equivalent of a Moscow Mule.

T H E T I D A L Z O N E - I've not quite finished this, but am absolutely loving it. A story of a stay-at-home father who's first born child suddenly falls ill, Sarah Moss fills her novel with emotion and intelligence and incredibly complex real characters. Such an enjoyable read.



Those are four books that I've enjoyed this summer. I think The Tidal Zone at least deserves an individual review! 

Thank you for reading

2 comments

  1. Ahhhh! I loved Idaho! So emotional and really well handled considering how distressing the content. Incredibly well written and one that stays with you a while later.

    I will be sure to check out your other recommendations!

    Gemma
    www.fadedwindmills.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAS I'm so glad you agree :) Definitely try out ATLWCS if that kind of beautifully written character study is your jam!

      Is x

      Delete

© Folded Paper Foxes | UK Bookish Lifestyle Blog. Design by FCD.