Saturday 1 December 2018

COSY WINTER READING RECOMMENDATIONS





The nights are getting longer, and the evenings are getting colder. There are a lot of downsides to the changing seasons, but one upside is that it's the perfect weather to snuggle up with a thick blanket, a warm beverage of choice, and a pile of books. So I've compiled a list of my favourite cosy reads for the colder weather to share with you. 

J A N E  E Y R E . C H A R L O T T E  B R O N T E A beloved classic for a reason. The iconic protagonists defies the expectations of her time in this beautiful Gothic love story. It's not my favourite classic, in fact it's not even my favourite Bronte novel! But for a cosy evening by the fire, with the wind howling against your windows, it cannot be beaten.


W H A T  I S  N O T  Y O U R S  I S  N O T  Y O U R S . H E L E N  O Y E Y E M I  Oyeyemi is, in my opinion, a massively underrated author. This collection of short stories is a strange walk through a fairy-tale woodland, or a flick through a particularly vivid dream diary. While I don't think this is her strongest work, this collection is a quiet powerhouse, confidently weaving issues of race, gender and sexuality with dreamy myth. 

C A L L  O F  T H E  U N D E R T O W . L I N D A  C R A C K N E L L A hugely underrated novel, set in the rocky coastline at topmost edge of Scotland, where a map-maker seeks refuge from a devastating tragedy. A truly touching novel, in which myth is reimagined in heartwarming ways, this is truly a perfect winter read. 


A L L  T H E  L I G H T  W E  C A N N O T  S E E . A N T H O N Y  D O E R R I've never been one for war novels. but this is something completely different. Interweaving the lives of a young blind girl living in Paris, and a young German boy with a knack for radios, Doerr creates a novel about the lives lived around the war, with wonderful imagery and breathtaking passages, this is a true treat for senses.

R E B E C C A . D A P H N E  D U  M A U R I E R Iconic for a reason, Rebecca is a captivating, atmospheric novel that lures the reader into the world of Manderly, where a woman must fight for love against supernatural forces. Du Maurier is the master of creating an atmosphere so taught and heavy it feels smothering. A dark, breathtaking novel that knocks the reader flat. 

T H E  G R A C E K E E P E R S . K I R S T Y  L O G A N Another novel in the magic and myth category. In a world that has been almost entirely submerged by the ocean, one girl travels the world on a circus boat, the other guards the souls of those who died at sea. Their lives are brought together in this sumptuous, twinkling story that makes a perfect comfort read. 

Hopefully that gives you a few suggestions for reads to fill the colder evenings that we're all enjoying. Let me know any suggestions you have!

Thank you for reading x

Find me on


6 comments

  1. Thank you for the suggestions! The Gracekeepers looks really interesting + it has a beautiful title! I'll surely check it out! Thank you & have a wonderful day! <3
    Khadija | October's Lallu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, this was a really good post. Finding the time and actual effort to
    generate a good article? but what can I say? I procrastinate a lot and never seem to get anything done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the sound of Call of the Undertow. I usually like classics but I've never read Jane Eyre. I'm pretty sure I have a copy, should get around to reading it x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Gracekeepers sounds like a really interesting one, I'll add that to my reading list :)

    Julia // The Sunday Mode

    ReplyDelete

© Folded Paper Foxes | UK Bookish Lifestyle Blog. Design by FCD.