Saturday 19 May 2018

CRUELTY FREE BEAUTY FAVES #3 | DAILY ROUTINE



It hasn't been that long since I last posted about cruelty free products, but a very dear friend of mine Kieran (you can read his blog here) sent me a little care package full of LUSH goodies. I mentioned, when he came round to stay a few weeks ago, that I didn't really have a set skincare routine and, as a LUSH employee, he was very keen to help me address this!

Among the super cute, pastel bath bits, and amazing smelling hair care, were three items to make up a little low maintenance daily routine, and, having been sticking to this fairly regularly for about three weeks now, I've really seen the benefits.


COAL FACE SOAP is a black hunk of soap that smells faintly of liquorice. It does a great job of taking off my makeup and cleaning my face without leaving it feeling dry or tight. Little granules of charcoal provide a nice gentle exfoliation as well, and it has a nice calming smell that doesn't leave a perfumy residue on the face. The main ingredient is liquorice root, which is known for being anti-inflammatory and good for lightening dullness or dark spots. It also contains antiseptic rosewood and soothing sandalwood.

BREATHE OF FRESH AIR TONER is the product I've been most surprised by. Full disclosure, I thought that toners were complete bunk, and that the idea of rubbing some weird fluid on your face in between the logical steps of 'wash' and 'moisturise' made zero sense. But here I am, converted. Turns out that this toner contains aloe vera gel, seaweed extract, and rosemary and patchouli oil, to soothe redness, and to refresh and soften the skin. It's also a great pick me up on a hot day.

GORGEOUS MOISTURISER I only have a smallish sample size of this because Lordy it's pricey! At £42.50 for 45g this is more expensive than most 'high end' moisturisers, but honestly you get what you pay for. The ingredients start with orange blossom honey water, followed by a long list of various organic and cold pressed oils, including avocado, primrose, and wheatgerm as well as fresh lemon, orange, and pineapple juice. It's a feather-light consistency that packs a real punch, and a fingertip's worth will do for my whole face and neck, sinking in quickly and leaving my skin soft and nourished. Unlike everything else in this list it isn't vegan, and for that reason I probably won't repurchase it, (well, that and it costs me more than my weekly food shop!) but I'm really enjoying the effect it's having on my skin, and when I buy another moisturiser, I'll be looking for a similar blend of ingredients (minus the honey).

I use this routine morning and evening and it's been great, not just for the appearance of my skin, but also for the calming and grounding effects of having this kind of routine in place. Taking just a few minutes of my day to dedicate to looking after myself, even in a way that might be a little bit superficial, is becoming part of a greater pattern in which I create a nourishing and self-caring practice to observe at all times, so that when I get stressed or things get difficult, I have healthy habits in place to help keep me together and on track.

I'm thrilled with the products that I have, and would happily recommend any of them, but I just wanted to quickly say that the benefits of a skin care routine go a little deeper than the products. Even if you can't or don't want to spend money on fancier skin care products, a warm washcloth and an unscented vegetable soap can do the trick. Since starting my skincare routine I've found it easier to link up other useful habits before and after. My morning feels more organised, and I find it easier to wind down in the evening, and it's great to feel a sense of certainty and agency in a routine when other areas of life might feel difficult or out of control.

It's nearing the end of Mental Health Awareness Week, and I'm planning some posts on the topic for the near future, because I want to try and keep the conversation rolling outside of this one week, but for now I'd just like to leave a link to Mind, a UK based charity for promoting better mental health. If you're struggling, know somebody who is, or if you'd just like to know where you can find resources should you ever need it, Mind is great place to start.

Have a great weekend everybody, I'm off to compulsively twitter stalk the Royal Wedding even though I'm not interested in it at all.......


Post a Comment

© Folded Paper Foxes | UK Bookish Lifestyle Blog. Design by FCD.